Author Topic: A couple of plants of the moment.  (Read 3953 times)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
A couple of plants of the moment.
« on: September 09, 2009, 05:42:22 PM »
It's a bit quiet here with Georges absence, so here are a few of the plants flowering in the garden to liven things up a bit before he comes home. ;D

Agapanthus Gayles Lilac
Flowers when the other Agapanthus have finished, and is evergreen too.

Actaea simplex Pink Spike
Another late summer flower, and it has dark leaves.

Clerodendron  bungei
Can run a bit but worth it for the flowers

Yes I know I cant count there are 3 pictures posted not a couple ::)

Malcolm

Offline Palustris

Re: A couple of plants of the moment.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 05:49:49 PM »
Very pretty. And if I could actually get to Photobucket I could post some pictures of the half a dozen different Colchicums which we have in flower. Also perhaps the range of colours of the Cyclamen hederifolium, from pure white to deep pink. But, I cannot  :'(so imagination is what you need.  ;D

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 05:03:18 PM »
Yes I can imagine them Eric, our colchicums have just started to flower, you must be earlier than us, the cyclamen have been flowering for weeks.
We still have quite a lot of colour, but you can tell Autumn is approaching, with the Birch leaves changing colour and a few dropping. It was down to +5.6 last night. Somewhat different to the +20c night minimum George shoud be having in Portugal. I wonder if he will bring back anything for the garden?  ;D  We once bought back a Bougainvillea from Spain, it was inside two Coke bottles which we cut the bottoms off and inserted the plant with rootball, then sellotaped over the join, it came back in our case. We still have it flowering well now.

What happened to Lauries posting of yesterday?

Malcolm
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 05:14:51 PM by Lyn and Malcolm »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 11:55:59 PM »
Lovely photos Malcolm and lovely flowers indeed! Thanks for posting those to welcome me home!
If you find another couple, post as many extras as you like ;D Always a pleasure to see your photos and your flowers.

No, I didn't bring any plants home, just a few photos ::)
I was thinking about your exotic garden as I walked around Albufiera, wondering if you had all the things I seen in your amazing garden :D Its amazing how plants manage to survive in that blistering heat!

You mentioned the evening temperatures of 20c. We were very pleasantly surprised by that! We expected it to be cooler in the evenings but it fact it was very warm and pleasant. We sat out for all our evening meals both at the apartment and when we dined out. It made a difference watching the football on Wednesday evening!

I'm afraid I wouldn't have the discipline you have Malcolm, to care for those tender plants over winter. Even if I could manage to overwinter them,I don't think they would perform as happily in Ireland as they would with you in the more favourable South of England. I'll stick to easier challenges!
Thats a great story about how you brought that plant home from Spain! I bet you were all the more satisfied to see it grow to maturity and into flower - well done :D

I really feel for you Eric, not being able to share your photos. Store them up for the future - and lets hope you find some kind of solution to your communication problems.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 11:58:00 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 11:16:39 PM »
Welcome back to the driving seat George, sounds like you had a relaxing time in Portugal. September is a nice time in Portugal and Spain, that is when we tend to holiday there, as you say some nice warm evenings, I can't remember one of those this summer here, this year.

It is amazing how the land gets so dry with the high temperatures experianced in summer, yet recovers during the winter, and spring is so green.

Here are a couple (3)  ;D of pictures taken in September 2005 in the Extremadura area of Spain.

Shows the almost barren landscape at the end of summer, taken from the old town walls of Trujillo. Note the cattle lh side of picture

And inland at a reservoir, the fishing must have been good there as all the fish would be in the water remaining. When full the water extends to almost as far as the eye can see. Note the fishermen and vehicle

But it wasn't so bad on the mountains, where there were still running streams.

Ireland may not be the best place for Mediteranean plants agreed, as you say, too wet. As for cold I will have to look up the minimum for Belfast Airport, I guess it may not be so cold as down here.
We haven't had that much rain here all summer, and are still watering the garden today.

Malcolm