Author Topic: Re: Summer Travelling  (Read 2095 times)

Offline bossgard

Re: Summer Travelling
« on: August 19, 2009, 04:35:23 PM »
Hello Peter:

Yes, I?m a neighbor of yours, but can?t quite see you from here. I?m in Southeast King County.

Your photos of Mount Rainier and surroundings are beautiful and well done. When you see the Majestic Lady like that, you want to take your finger and stick it out there, and swipe the white stuff just to see if it isn?t really whipped cream.

But the Mountain can also be mean and treacherous. We had planned an Alpine Hike from Paradise, but as we approached the Mountain it became encroached in a misty fog, and was quite wet when we arrived at the Memorial Building to refresh ourselves. By the time we had finished and went outside, snow was falling.

Needless to say, we scurried down the mountain side and got away from the elements as quickly as possible. That was very, very scary to me!

We learned the next day; the several feet of new snow had fallen!!

On Saturday, August 15th, the Seattle Times Newspaper published an article on North Cascades Park and the wild flowers and trails there. I have taken the liberty to provide the following link so that Forum Members can get the feel of the beautiful country we live in here in the Pacific Northwest.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/flatpages/video/seattletimesvideo.html?bclid=30884189001&bctid=33830760001

-  Toby

Offline peter1925

Re: Summer Travelling
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
Hi Toby,
It looks like you are not very far away, sooner or later we'll have meet in person. You are right about the dangers of a mountain. Years ago a spent more time in the mountains and I enjoyed it most of the time but the weather can change very rapidly and there is
no place to hide.

I visited the Seattle Times video, they really did a marvelous job. Thanks for the link.