Computers > Questions

Poor Connection

(1/3) > >>

Palustris:
This really is getting beyond a joke. We have been advised that it may be a Registry problem, but rather than using the Repair disc we should force the computer to use our ISP's own DNS numbers rather than letting the computer find them for itself (?)
To that end I Emailed Supanet and they kindly sent me their DNS numbers. I entered them in the appropriate place on Network Management and they were not accepted as being valis. They insist they are correct so what do I do now?
I tried both typing them in and Copy and Paste by the way and no go.

Edited by George
To do our best to help Eric, and to keep the suggested tests and a quick Yes/No from Eric in one place, heres a summary, on the initial posting of the topic.
Hopefully this will be easy for new visitors to review, get a handle on the problem and avoid repeating questions to Eric.
To Eric: Post a quick Yes/No or brief summary reply here, and an expanded explanation (if necessary) in a normal reply in this toipic.

1) (From George) See posting 14 Aug
Is your problem that you a) keep getting disconnected or b) Have a very slow connection?
Answer from Eric:

2) From Laurie. See posting 15 Aug
Have you had your BT phone line checked?
Answer from Eric:

3) From Laurie see posting 15 Aug
Is it only on certain web sites that you visit that you notice the problems?
Answer from Eric:

4) From Laurie See posting 15 Aug
Does the problem happen (or intolerable) only at certain times of the day, e.g. evenings and weekends
Answer from Eric:

5) When/How did the problem start, or was it always like now?
Answer from Eric:

ideasguy:
Ive sent an email to a friend who knows more about this subject that I do, Eric.
I'll update with another reply when Ive heard back from him.

Meanwhile, who offered that advice?

Palustris:
Someone on Answerbank Done this before and it did help.
Other link given was this one but beyond me.
http://www.melbpc.org.au/faq/dropouts.htm

ideasguy:
The very last thing I would do would be mess with the registry.
That is a job for very experienced IT experts.
No news from my friend yet (Weekend!)

Is your problem that you a) keep getting disconnected or b) Have a very slow connection?

NightHawk:
Eric, I agree with George.  Don't mess around with your Registry.  Unless you know exactly what you're doing you can de-stabilise your Operating System.

If you're having a problem with being disconnected, this could be a slight fault on your BT phone line.  If there's any sort of interference, static or other 'noise', on it this could affect your connection.  In this case, you would need to have your phone line tested.  I know of some people, when dial-up was the only choice available, experienced this problem and it was attributed to the phone line.  Worth a check.

If you're just having a slow connection, then there are several reasons that could cause this.
If the problem is at certain times of the day, e.g. evenings and weekends, then your ISP's servers could be getting overloaded which slows down everyone's connection speed.  Not much you can do about that though.

If it's only on certain web sites that you visit that you notice the slowing down, then there is probably a lot of other visitors at the same time causing it.  Only solution here is to try visiting again at a different time.

If the slowness is all the time, no matter which web site you are trying to get to, then it could point to the BT phone line again; maybe old wiring from the telephone exchange to you that can't cope with the load.

That's all that occurs to me at the moment Eric, I don't have any other suggestions for now.

Hopefully George's IT whizz can give some other choices for you to try.

Laurie.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version