Author Topic: Pea Planting  (Read 3498 times)

NightHawk

Pea Planting
« on: May 20, 2009, 10:08:52 AM »
Kathy has just sown some mangetout type Peas - Carouby De Maussane.

She has prepared a large pot in the greenhouse, put four canes in it and sown 2 peas to each cane.

We don't have a vegetable plot as such and haven't grown any other vegetables in our garden before (apart from trying some cherry tomatoes last year which didn't do too well).  Mainly because we don't have a lot of space to allocate to them.

Vegetable prices in the shops are so insane at the moment that we thought we'd give it a try.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Pea Planting
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 01:37:31 PM »
My wife tells me they are insane prices when out of season but reasonable when in season, after I'd sown my peas and broad beans!
I did the digging when it was too wet to cut the lawns and I hate weeding when the ground is heavy.
I sowed the seed last Thursday 14th May. I poked holes in the prepared beds and and my grandson popped the beans and peas in. We had a great day! He loves to help in the garden.

I love the mangetouts Kathy and Laurie, but this year its the traditional varieties again.
Keep us informed on how they do for you in the pots.

NightHawk

Re: Pea Planting
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 03:44:58 PM »
Kathy likes all types of vegetables, so if she had her way we'd be growing a lot more.

As it is, I'm very fussy about which vegetables I like.  In fact, there's not enough I like that would make growing too many of them ourselves worthwhile.

I will be the first to admit that I'm a pain in the neck in that respect, and Kathy will not disagree with me.  :D

We'll keep you updated with the pea-growing.

Laurie.