Author Topic: Plants for a sunless area in London - any ideas please?  (Read 4808 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Plants for a sunless area in London - any ideas please?
« on: April 19, 2009, 10:39:41 PM »
Our youngest son and family have just moved into a semi basement flat in London. Today Anthea and I went to see it for the first time. There is very little scope for gardening and the living room faces north onto a small area. I sketched a quick section through this area, which is about 18 feet long and no sunlight reaches it. There is what looks like a small planting area 4 ft 6 ins up the wall but the bottom of this is pretty solid. I think the only solution will be to put containers in this recess.

PROBLEM: What plants would survive in this position? Would any trailing plants suit this position?  I would prefer them not to be ivy. ANY IDEAS PLEASE?

Eric H
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 10:42:13 PM by Eric Hardy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Plants for a sunless area in London - any ideas please?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 09:39:59 AM »
I found just the advice in my other "Good Book"
Begonia semperflorens, Impatiens and Fuchsias are all good for shade. Not forgetting Nelly Moser, of course, well worth a try as it reportedly holds its colour best when North facing.
The book also says they do best if planted when just starting to bloom.
Plants in shade tend to become leggy - looking for light. Planting when in flower would overcome that problem, I imagine.

If you can keep records, I will be very interested in the results of these experiments as I'm hoping to get back to my sleeping giant soon http://www.ideasforgardens.com
Lets hear the suggestions from other members.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 10:41:11 PM »
Thanks for that, George. I wonder if anyone else has any ideas. I think Nelly Moser would be an interesting one to try, particularly if it is planted when just starting to bloom. Fuschia of course we have lots of, Anthea is always propagating these from cuttings.

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 10:57:52 PM »
RE:
I think Nelly Moser would be an interesting one to try, particularly if it is planted when just starting to bloom
Sorry for my misleading posting Eric.
I dont think that would apply to Nelly. It would be left permanently.
It applied to the other plants that were mentioned in the book, not Nelly Moser.

I hope we get some suggestions from the others. Ive a shady corner, and I will try the plants I mentioned, plus whatever recommendations are given by other members.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 06:23:49 AM »
I imagined that Nelly would be left permanently but I thought you meant that it was a good idea to put it in from a container just coming into flower. Thanks for explaining that you were referring to the other plants.

Eric H

NightHawk

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 03:42:25 PM »
Due for a revival maybe?

Quite an old posting, but didn't do too well first time around  :D

Any other suggestions forthcoming  :-\

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 06:24:24 AM »
Eric,
Pardon any spelling (it's late but will try not to butcher spelling).  Is an accent plant desired at corners? If so, some Pieris can have great blossom displays and foliage w/tips getting a nice red.  Some sasanqua camelias have a nice upright shape but might want to grow wider than this planter area (check the many varieties or if it's even available in your region).  Other uprights will make the long space more interesting even w/o  blossom (hard in shade as has been said but sometimes a wee bit of Phosphorus can help and pruning to reduce leggy growth).

Impatiens are among the best for shade color and worth it even though annual.  Most shrubs and/or perennials will need that pruning to get new growth for blossoms (as with fuchsias) or just to keep from getting too leggy.  Fuchsias add color at times of year that azalea or other shrubs are quiet.  There are several varieties of gardenia to consider.

Good luck,
Scott

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 07:57:18 AM »
It was good of you to revive this, Laurie. Thank you Scott for your suggestions but, as Laurie says, this is an old post. The family have now moved into a house in Ealing which is blessed with a south facing back garden and although quite small gives tham plenty of opportunities to have a bit of colour. Problem solved!

Eric

NightHawk

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 08:18:52 AM »
... The family have now moved into a house in Ealing which is blessed with a south facing back garden and although quite small gives tham plenty of opportunities to have a bit of colour. Problem solved!
Eric
Great to hear that Eric.

It was worth reviving this old post and would have paid dividends with Scott's response had circumstances remained, (thank you for that Scott  ;))

Scott's information is still valuable though for anyone else reading this post, who have a similar type of garden, so all is not lost  ;)