Plants > Clematis

Clematis: Plant care

(1/4) > >>

ideasguy:
You prune all of yours each year, Malcolm.
Take a few examples in your garden - what do you prune them down to and what height and spread do they make in one growing season?

Malcolm:
Please excuse. Ive split this from another posting of yours so its easier to pick up in the future.
Hopefully, the information will also be very useful to other members.

Lyn and Malcolm:

George

We prune all 100+ of the Clems every year, ranging from a hard prune to just a light tidy up.

Take Clematis texensis Dutchess of Albany

It looks fairly delicate don't you think.
A group 3 so a hard prune down to about 18 inches above ground end of February time.
It will sit there sulking for a couple of weeks, but it is really just gathering itself for the thrust upwards.
Today it's strongest shoots are at 5 foot tall, and it will continue upwards and outward above the 6 foot fence panel and onto a bean net which is attached to the top of the neighbours 14 foot ish high leylandii hedge (which we cut our side and as far as I can reach over the top every year)
Not content with reaching the top it will then dissapear from sight heading next door.
Lyn does cut out the growing tips, and also complete shoots in an attempt to control it.
It killed a pretty strong shrub I can't remember the name of one year, that it used for a support, and even tries to kill the leylandii, leaving brown patches of foilage.

Just think how much stronger it would be if it's roots were not at the base of the hedge, more water and nourishment would be available to it.
I guess we have had the Dutchess in the garden for about 8 years now, every year it has grown stronger.

The flowering time is quite long, and the flowers are nice.

Malcolm

Lyn and Malcolm:

Clematis Huldine and Clematis viticella Abundance share a love hate relationship.

Clematis Huldine

Clematis viticella Abundance

They are grown together, both group 3 hard prune (try not to plant a group 1 or 2 together with a group 3) for obvious reasons.
So again they get the chop down to 18 inches, usually one or the other will get away quickest, whichever is first, will rule the roost for the season, when they behave the colour co ordination is a good one. Both will reach about 14 foot, helped by the fact they are planted only about three foot from our bottomless compost bins, when we clear the bins, the roots are there at the bottom.

Malcolm

Lyn and Malcolm:

Not all our Clematis are huge monsters

Clematis integrifolia Hakuree

After about 4 years it is only just under 3 foot tall, growing on a little obelisk.
Thankfully the Clematis are not all huge, our garden is only small, and the other 900 plants need some room as well.  ;D

Malcolm

ideasguy:
Thanks for that invaluable information, Malcolm, supported with very fine photos, I have to say.
Next question:
When you prune to 18ins - is there any sign of shoots and leaves on whats left? Perhaps you prune to a node with leaves?
Does the plant respond by sending up more shoots from the base?

Next question
Feeding. Whats your feeding program?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version