General Category (Open to public) > General discussion (Open to the public)

Opening a section of the forum to Guests

(1/4) > >>

ideasguy:
Should we open the forum to the public, or should we keep the forum exclusive?

Ive debated this question with some members over the time weve had this forum, but due to the problems in monitoring postings, I prefer to keep it exclusive.

Ive created this new board to allow all our members to share items with our Guests (visitors who happen to surf in on the forum)
This new board has Priviliges set to allow Guests to read the postings.

To add new postings, a Guest has to register, and one of our moderators have to approve the registration. The new member gets an email inviting them to login.
Note that other boards are restricted so that only registered (and approved) members can read and post messages.

How do our members feel about this new Open to the Public board? Please add your comments.

roiphil:
I have no objections to guests, viewing posts, but even if they register which will allow them to add to posts , start a new topic etc, in a part of the forum you will still get the check me out here  ;) postings unless some one is able to regulate keep an eye on the forum most of the day, or make current full members moderators of public sections and they then keep an eye on that that section and if any of these postings do happen they can remove and ban that person from the forum

As for approving people that should be down to global moderaters forum owners, and then if you decide to make current full members moderators of a public section of the forum that person can remove any unsuitable postings from that section and ban that member etc

Take it from personal experience these things do happen, i was a member of a yahoo poultry group but i got fed up with the come and see me here etc postings

just my thoughts
Phil

ideasguy:
Those security issues and registration approvals have been taken care of, Phil.

roiphil:

--- Quote from: ideasguy on April 10, 2009, 10:34:21 AM ---Those security issues and registration approvals have been taken care of, Phil.

--- End quote ---
you answered as i was editing, all sorted then, i have no objections

Palustris:
It is not unusual for Forums to allow Guests a limited use of a site. Most of the gardening ones I visit allow none registered visitors to read postings, but not to participate. Two sites have areas restricted to members only and one has an area restricted to long term members only. Not a problem to me, we do not seem to post anything which ought not to be read by the general public!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version