Author Topic: Our garden on Television tomorrow  (Read 8284 times)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
Our garden on Television tomorrow
« on: April 02, 2009, 11:41:03 AM »

Have just heard from BBC to say it will be on BBC2 Gardeners world between 8pm and 9pm tomorrow Friday 3rd April

Apparently just a 3 minute slot, so don't blink you may miss it. Ah well after a whole day filming  >:(

Malcolm

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
Re: Our garden on Television tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 11:53:50 AM »
well done will have watch that, who said that everyone is famous for 15 minutes i think you have been short changed there

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 12:17:04 PM »
We will treasure those 3 minutes  8)
I'll get the program recorder set up. I dont want to miss that show!
Thanks for the tip-off Malcolm

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 12:38:24 PM »
They didn't give us much notice did they.
They left a message on answer phone to say they urgently wanted confirmation of the spelling of Lyn's name.
I had to ring them back.

I am hoping Palustris will see this post, as another garden forum I used to belong to, and they came to our garden on one of their meetings.
Have shown an interest in seeing the garden again on TV.

I have sent Palustris a PM to tell the forum.

Edit I have been able to log in to the above mentioned forum with my old password etc so sorry to have bothered you Eric (Palustris.)

Malcolm
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 10:55:54 PM by Lyn and Malcolm »

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 06:11:08 PM »
What a shame Malcolm - only 3 minutes.  Seems like a lot of time and effort on your part and the BBC's for such a short slot.

We would have been watching Gardener's World anyway, but thanks for the heads up.

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 10:23:40 PM »
Congratulations Lyn & Malcolm, we usually watch but I will set the recorder as well.

Eric H

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 11:00:41 PM »

Thanks to you all.

I only hope it turns out ok, as we had no control over what they wanted or used.

Just a little concerned Malcolm  ;D

Offline roiphil

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 10:40:45 AM »

Just a little concerned Malcolm  ;D

why concerned, let me guess you kept on popping your head over a bush whilst they were filming hopeing you would be on telly with your bushes  ;D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 10:52:34 AM »
Yes, its in the TV guide
BBC Two
8:00 Gardeners World
New series. Toby Buckland introduces the series' new home and sets about transforming the muddy field into a horticultural haven. Plus spring-flowering shrubs ands potted bulbs.

Well, they couldnt have picked a better horticultural haven than yours, Lyn and Malcolm, to set the standards for the viewers wishing to transform their muddy fields.

See ya later!

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 06:50:30 PM »

I see they are now showing us as

His n Hers garden

On this page  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jn5sl

On the tv shedule places visited.

Malcolm

NightHawk

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 09:05:28 PM »
Have just seen your little slot on Gardener's World Lyn and Malcolm, and we think you gave a good account of yourselves.  8)

You should be very pleased with that.

Hopefully it will inspire more people to come to your NGS open days.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 09:08:08 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 09:26:52 PM »

Thank you Kathy and Laurie

It was better than we thought it would be, and 4 minutes as well. A few of the shots were a bit strange, a pan along the top of the neihibours hedge showing lots of sky and hardly any of the Clematis was one.

I was glad that it wasn't shown too near an open day as well, we had 243 visitors once, when we only opened for 3 hours on a Sunday afternoon, talk about sardines.

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 09:43:20 PM »
Great show Lyn and Malcolm. Are you doing autographs?

It was my birthday today, and my sons and their wives and my little grandson were here so a bit of bedlam at the time of the show. I have it recorded and I'm going now to have a look in peace and quiet!

One comment - you know how I prefer NOT to take photos when the sun is shining.
It looks like the sun was beaming on the day, and personally I think we would have seen more detail and of your fantastic plants and garden on a duller day. As I recall, the weather was atrocious leading up to the day of filming. Was it sunny all day when the cameras were there? Did they prefer to shoot when the sun was shining?

Full credit to you both. The garden looks absolutely magnificent, front and back. Simply beautiful.

You both came across very well on TV 8)
Well done. Now, I'm off for a replay   :)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 09:55:58 PM »
Terrific show, Lyn and Malcolm, you both came over so naturally. We were impressed by both your gardens and interested in your different approaches. Luckily Anthea and I agree about almost everything in our garden so we need only one  :) which is just as well because we can hardly manage to deal with that  :(

Eric H

PS It is amazing how much came over in only three minutes!!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 09:58:56 PM by Eric Hardy »

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 10:03:11 PM »
A belated Happy Birthday to you George

Great show Lyn and Malcolm. Are you doing autographs

Yes George, a tenner each, will help pay for more sacks of dirt.  ;D

The day started very bright, as the day went on the wind increased markedly, and high cloud cut the sun off a bit.
I did notice the contrast with the light too, but unfortunatley they would have had to wait till late pm to lose the sun.
We don't have a HD tv here. Does anyone on the forum have one?

It was September the 3rd when they filmed, despite the bad summer and being late in the season, the garden held up quite wel....with a little help.

Our website is taking a hit at the moment, mostly from search engines. So got some interest.

Malcolm
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 10:27:25 PM by Lyn and Malcolm »

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 10:12:10 PM »

Thank you Eric H

It is amazing how much came over in only three minutes

A lot of our visitors will tour the garden several times during their visit, there is so much to see in a small space, you can't take it in on the first tour. A second time and you see lots you have missed.

you both came over so naturally

First time in front of a camera, a High Definition one as well. To be honest, the camera didn't bother me, it was what I was going to say that was the hardest.

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 11:54:02 PM »
Ive now watched the show about six times, and I can see you pair could hardly contain yourselves from laughing. It gets better every time, and of course we can peek over your shoulders and see a few more things each time, just like your visitors taking a few trips around on their visits.

RE:
it was what I was going to say that was the hardest

The script is every bit as good as the garden - its brilliant! Not only that, its very humorous.
Seriously, it couldnt be better if you were reading your lines in a well thought out play.
Which leads to the question - how much of that was ad-libbed?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 11:56:50 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 06:06:58 PM »

Sorry for the delay in posting a reply George.

I think the grins were because we were happy  ;D

We have watched it several times as well George, it needs to be looked at more than once to appreciate what was going on, they didn't stop long on anything, I missed the holding of hands the first time  ;)

Which leads to the question - how much of that was ad-libbed?

Nothing was scripted apart from the two    "And this is my garden", which we were asked to do.
Everything else was the producer asking us a question off camera, after he asked the question we had seconds to think what we were going to say, before the camera started recording.

There were a few rubbish shots in that film, like the camera panning next doors hedge, when Lyn said we grew Clematis up it. All you got was the top of the hedge and sky, you couldn't see the Clematis.

But we enjoyed it after all, it was better than we thought, Lyn is going to write to them to say we were happy with it.

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 09:23:26 PM »
Well, I noticed the holding hands scene first time. That was a nice touch, I have to say.
Good to see that threat of "war" was only a bit of blarney   :)

I have to say, I prefer Lyn's garden Malcolm.
Only joking  ;D ;D

Shall we be provocative and ask our members whose garden we preferred? The Back Garden or the Front Garden?
Is there a side garden? (a kind of peace line?)

OK, now its been screened, did you make a DVD of the program? Knowing Prof Gadget, I'm sure you did.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 10:49:28 PM »
I had no idea on the day they had closed in on the holding hands, it was taken within the first 1/2 hour of filming, I think we did it to calm each other.

Everyone likes different things George, I really don't mind which garden they like best, and to be honest there was a lot more to each garden that wasn't shown.

If anyone would like to say which they like best, I am all ears.

Just as well I did record onto DVD, which I have edited to just our garden. As two people have already asked if we recorded it as they missed it for one reason or another.

Before I got out of the house this morning we had a call from one of my customers to say they had seen it and liked it, and when is the garden open. When I arrived at my first job, customer said "was that you on telly on Friday, we didn't know you gardened" I guess they lived 1/2 mile from us ! Next job at an old lady with a 25 year old washing machine, full to the brim with water, and unable to get the water out in any way. I had to pull up, the stuck down on the edges Flotex carpet, because the machine was jammed under the worktop, adjustable feet already at minimum height, and the carpet had been cut round the machine. So no chance of getting the machine out, without taking the carpet up.
So laying on the floor between the encroaching water near my head, and the remains of the sticky glue on the floor by my feet. In comes the meals on wheels man delivering the lady's dinner..............You guessed it "Were you on tv on that gardening programme".

Next stop was home for a change of overalls, which were clean on this morning, a wet leg, smelly water, and sticky glue on me bum.

I guess the "Peace line" would be in the middle of the covered passage between house and shed, from there you can see the brick arch leading to the front garden, and the Morrocan key hole door behind you, that leads into the back garden, just about the neutral zone.  ;D

Malcolm (the one with the better garden)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 11:21:06 PM »
Only teasing Malcolm. I don't think it would be a good idea to debate on whose garden is best!
They are entirely different styles. I hadn't realised just how different they were until the show went out.
Its clear that you are both plant lovers, and thats what really matters to us  ;)

I pity you with that particular "sticky" job. That must have been really unpleasant! I'm sure the poor old lady with the 25 yo washing machine was shocked when her flooring had to be ripped up! I'm sure you managed to leave it nice and tidy!

OK, now you've told us theres a video, guess what the next question is?
If Paramount have made it available for General release, can you put a copy in with that Photos DVD?  ;)

Offline roiphil

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 10:23:44 AM »
well done on your tv debut, did i see a blue archway structure, and what a gardens(s) how many plants have you in total. i dont have a favourite as they were equally nice

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 05:57:46 PM »
Phil

Yes the blue archway is my poor interpretation of a Moorish keyhole doorway, I can make things in wood, but no good at intricate plasterwork.

How many different plants do we have in the garden? Well approx 1,100  We like plants  ;D  See here http://www.plantguide.lynandmalc.co.uk/

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 06:22:38 PM »

George said

If Paramount have made it available for General release, can you put a copy in with that Photos DVD

PM sent george and DVD

Malcolm

Offline roiphil

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 08:50:05 PM »
Phil

Yes the blue archway is my poor interpretation of a Moorish keyhole doorway, I can make things in wood, but no good at intricate plasterwork.

Its not poor, i think its very good, whisper i cant plaster either  ;)